Incoming mobility fellowships
A*Midex/Brain Master Program fellowships (up to 1,000 €/month) are offered to master’s students from partner universities for 2 to 12 month-long mobility projects at Aix-Marseille University (AMU).
They may also include courses (depending on inter-university agreements).
Nous vivons Marseille
[ On sait qu'on est à Marseille quand... ]Marseillais de naissance, de cœur ou d'adoption, nous sommes tous les ambassadeurs de notre ville.Étudiant, commerçant, chef d'entreprise, sportif, chercheur, touriste, artiste, blogueur... nous savons mieux que quiconque à quel point notre ville est belle.Parce que nous vivons Marseille.Film réalisé par Mars ProductionPosté par Ville de Marseille sur lundi 18 janvier 2016
WARNING: these scholarships are NOT aimed at students from non-partner universities simply wishing to register to AMU neuroscience master’s program. If this is your case, please check this page to learn how to enroll to the master’s.
To be considered eligible for support through the A*Midex incoming fellowships, you must:
- not be a French citizen or be a French student registered outside Aix-Marseille Academy
- hold, at the time you take up the fellowship, a B.Sc. level degree in neuroscience or a close topic
- intend to pursue, at the time of the fellowship, full-time graduate studies at the master’s level in a neuroscience program in a university with an established partnership with Aix-Marseille University neuroscience master’s program, i.e. the University of Helsinki, Oldenburg University, Université de Montréal and, more recently, the University of Amsterdam (UvA).
- have a very good university record
- present an attestation of your fluency in French or English (B2 level required).
If you are eligible and wish to apply, here are the steps you need to follow.
1. Register your interest with the International Cooperation Officer of our master’s program : Isabelle Virard +33 (0)4 13 55 08 88.
2. If you are interested in a laboratory training, check the list of research teams to look for a supervisor. Warning : only research teams affiliated to the neuroscience master’s program are eligible for these fellowships (some research teams work on topics related to neuroscience but are affiliated to other masters’, as specified in our directory).
3. If the mobility project includes courses, prepare a learning agreement with the directors of your degree and those of the neuroscience master’s program of Aix-Marseille University.
4. Fill the application form below and send it (as a single pdf file) with the complementary documents (also listed below).
5. A first round of selection will be based on academic merit (criteria detailed in this grid). Then a committee may interview the candidates to assess their fluency in French or English, their intellectual curiosity, and the relevance of their mobility project.
6. The selected applications must then be validated by Aix-Marseille University and the student’s home university.
7. Before coming to Marseille, successful applicants must then provide other documents (bank account number, health insurance certificate…) and register on of the moveonline application.
- It is the student’s responsibility to check that their travel documents are valid (passports, visas) and to buy their own airline or train tickets.
- A certificate of attendance will be required after returning from abroad.
- See AMU International Relations webpage and that of your own university for advice before departure.
Application and required documents
The application form has 2 parts (A. mobility project and B. curriculum vitae). Please also include the following documents (all combined into a single pdf document) in either French or English:
- All your university transcripts
- A cover letter that details your personal and professional project : research interests, study and career plans, how the mobility project will contribute to achieving them…
- If the mobility project includes courses, a learning agreement filled and signed by the directors of your current degree and AMU neuroscience master’s program directors (another form may be available at your university).
- An attestion of your fluency in French or English (B2 level usually required) if neither is your mother tongue
Remember to check the specific requirements of your home university!
Applying to an A*Midex mobility fellowship
Until recently, we were accepting applications all year round for incoming mobility projects. However, due to the increasing number of applicants, we will determine deadlines for applications for 2017-18:
- Sunday, January 7, 2018 for stays in Marseille in the spring or summer (with a beginning of stay between April and the end of August 2018),
- Tuesday, May 1st, 2018 for stays in Marseille in the fall or winter (with a beginning of stay between September 2018 and March 2019).
Warning! Administrative procedure can be very long, especially for mobility from outside Europe. We encourage you to contact us and apply as early as possible, at least 3 months before mobility start (4 if you include August or December).
Here is a reminder of the sequence of events :
- Information campain
- Declaration of interest
- Preselection & interview
- Result publication
- Agreement implementation
- Mobility start
- The fellowship is paid monthly starting on your arrival in Marseille (several weeks of delays may be expected at the beginning)
The jury will consist of the following members:
- Prof. Alain Enjalbert
- Prof. Francois Féron
- Dr Anne Kavounoudias
- Prof. Christophe Porcher
- Prof. Jean-Philippe Ranjeva
- Prof. Jean Denis Troadec
- Prof. Franck Vidal
- Dr Isabelle Virard
Its decisions are final.
- If you have any question, please email the master’s international cooperation officer :
Isabelle Virard +33 (0)4 13 55 08 88
- For general questions about international exchanges with Aix-Marseille University, you may contact the following international relations officer :
Matthieu Porhel +33 (0)4 13 55 04 03
Plan your stay in Marseille by reading the International student handbook of Aix-Marseille University or that of the City of Marseille (in French).