Presentation of the call
NeuroSchool and its PhD program are launching a call for applications for 6-month end-of-PhD funding, open to students enrolled in their 3rd year during the 2019-2020 academic year. A total of 24 months of funding will be distributed among 4 laureates.
The objective of this funding is to allow a student at the end of his/her PhD to finalize his/her research project and the associated publications in order to ensure a necessary background for the pursuit of his/her scientific career.
Among the criteria for evaluating candidates, the PhD program wishes to take into account their attendance and involvement in the PhD program. Indeed, the success and quality of the program depends on the active participation of students in the organization and follow-up of these events. It is therefore important that we recognize their investment and support them in this process of personal and collective training.
- Applicant profile: PhD student at AMU
- Host laboratory: associated with AMU
- Mandatory registration to an AMU Doctoral School for a 4th PhD year for the 2020/2021 academic year if the defense takes place after 31/12/2020
- Obligation to have met at least once their PhD advisory board (‘comité de suivi de thèse’)
- Enrollment in the ICN/NeuroSchool PhD Program before 2020
Rating criteria (total /20)
- CV, PhD research project and research progress (5/20)
- Justification, feasibility and detailed planning of the additional 6 months (6/20)
- Report of the PhD monitoring committee + letter from the committee’s external rapporteur + consideration by the PhD student of any recommendations made by the committee (3/20)
- Involvement in the PhD program since the beginning of the PhD (6/20)
It should be noted that the evaluations by the PhD research director and the laboratory directors are important and help to shed light on the elements of the file provided by the candidates.
- Employer: AMU (A*MIDEX funding)
- Duration of the funding: 6 months, non-renewable. The fellowship will not continue beyond the PhD defense date.
- Type of contract: full-time fixed-term contract (“contrat à durée déterminée”, CDD)
- Monthly gross salary: 1,771.36€
- Start of the contract: from the end date of the 3rd year of the PhD
- After the PhD program selection, the laureates must provide an attestation from the Doctoral School stating that it validates his/her registration in 4th PhD year before the funding can be granted.
Documents to be provided
Documents to be provided in the form of a single PDF file named “yourname_EndPhD.pdf”:
- CV of the applicant (1 page maximum) detailing his/her academic and professional background (academic education, mobility, research internship, conferences…)
- A document entitled “Report, justification and timetable” that will summarize the results of previous PhD years, justify the request for additional months and detail the calendar for the end of the PhD. This document should clearly show how the additional months of PhD funding will allow the candidate to make significant progress in their PhD.
Recommendations for the “Report, justification and timetable ” document to be provided (csi: maximum characters, spaces included)
- PhD project title and name(s) of PhD supervisor(s)
- Did you apply for a 4th year PhD scholarship at another organization? If so, which one and when are the results expected? If not, explain why not.
- PhD project description and progress report (2000 csi)
- How will 6 additional months significantly change the PhD outcome? (2000 csi)
- Work program for the 6 months. Specify timetable and expected results. (1000 csi)
- Longer-term professional project (500 csi)
- The report(s) from the PhD Advisory Board (“rapport(s) du comité de suivi de thèse”)
Please have the following persons send their detailed opinion (=recommendation letter) of the candidate (1000 csi) directly by email:
- PhD supervisor(s)*
- External member of the PhD Advisory Board*
- Laboratory head
* In addition to recommendations, please indicate the following:
“I would consider the candidate to be in the following percentile compared to students at a comparable career stage whom I have supervised:
upper 5%  upper 10%  upper 20%  upper 30%  lower 70%” ”
Your application (a unique PDF document named “yourname_EndPhD.pdf”, in French and/or English) must be submitted via the form below.
PhD supervisors, external members of the PhD monitoring committee and laboratory directors are requested to send their opinions by email.
Deadline for application: Sunday May 17th, 2020, at midnight. The constitution of the jury and its deliberations will take place by the end of June 2020.
The jury, consisting of one representative from each laboratory, met on June 29, 2020 to decide on the attribution of the four scholarships. Here are the results:
- Justine Facchini (LNSC)
- Jeremy Verneuil (INT)
- Erwan Leprince (INMED)
- Angelo Franciosini (INT)
Candidates on the waiting list
- Dominika Pilat (INP)
- Karen Runge (INMED)
- Vinay Parameshwarappa (LNSC)
The subsequent withdrawals of Justine Facchini, Dominika Pilat and Karen Runge in favour of other funding enabled Vinay Parameshwarappa to secure the last scholarship offered by the PhD Program.