Presentation of the call
The PhD Program in Neurosciences of Aix-Marseille University (AMU) proposes to finance one year of science thesis for interns, young doctors or pharmacy graduates. This call for applications is addressed to interns, young doctors or pharmacists wishing to spend a year of research in the framework of a thesis in neurosciences within an AMU laboratory. The scholarship is fully funded by NeuroSchool (nEURo*AMU, ANR-17-EURE-0029) and aims to foster links between doctors, pharmacists and researchers, to encourage the involvement of doctors and pharmacists in experimental research and to bring scientific, medical and paramedical training closer together.
The selection process takes place in three stages:
- a call for projects for research teams from Aix-Marseille University laboratories with receipt of applications by March 1st, 2021, at the latest,
- a call for applications from interns, young doctors or pharmacists with receipt of applications by May 2nd, 2021, at the latest,
- the audition of the shortlisted candidates which will take place in June 2021 (date to be specified later; auditions will be conducted via visioconference).
New: Candidates who wish to apply with a project other than those submitted in step 1 by the researchers are free to do so. They must then apply with this new project, in coordination with the AMU researcher of their choice. The project and the application will then be examined jointly.
Call for projects (for researchers) - CLOSED
AMU laboratories are invited to propose a neuroscience PhD project for a resident or young medical doctor.
To submit a project, please download the file below (see the “Documents available for download” tab).
Detail the PhD research project (maximum 1 page in Verdana font size 11, i.e. approx. 500 words), indicating its title and explaining state of the art and international scientific context, objectives, methods, expected outcomes, adequacy with neuroscience, feasibility, expected benefits and profile of desired candidate.
Please submit it at the latest on March 1st, 2021, at midnight via the online form below.
The validity of the projects will be checked by a committee to ensure their quality, feasibility and compliancy with the rules of the Life and Health Science Doctoral School.
Call for applications (for students) - CLOSED
The candidates will be able to download the necessary documents from March 15th, 2021, in the “Documents available for download” tab:
- The list of proposed research projects
- The document “Choice of research projects”, in which the candidate should select and rank two of the proposed research projects
- The template for the two recommendation letters that must be sent from two referees directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application must be submitted in English on our website before May 2nd, 2021, at midnight (Marseille time) as a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT containing:
- The document (“Choice of research projects”) highlighting the adequacy between the applicant’s background and the two research projects selected (see “Documents available for download” tab)
- a detailed resume (with copy of the obtained degrees)
- a letter of motivation (500 words max)
Where should you apply? Click directly on “Submit your application” on this call.
The selection of candidates will be done in 3 phases:
- 1st phase: project supervisors undertake an initial ranking of candidates who selected their project.
- 2nd phase: the PhD program committee examines the ranked candidates of all projects and selects the candidates to be auditioned according to their academic background their adequacy with the project.
- 3rd phase: the pre-selected candidates are interviewed by visoconference in front of the PhD program committee, which makes the final ranking.
Successful candidates will be informed by e-mail and will then be auditioned individually in June 2021 (date to be specified later). These interviews will be conducted by visioconference.
The selection committee will be composed of the heads of the NeuroSchool PhD Program in Neuroscience, clinicians and researchers.
Conditions and guidelines
At the time of the application, candidates may be doing their residency, have validated their residency (MD and/or PharmD, and/ordiplôme d’études spécialisées) less than 2 years earlier, or be Chef de Clinique des universités-Assistants des hôpitaux (CCA) or Assistant Hospitalier Universitaire (AHU). Clarification as of 22/02/2021: this limit does not apply to applicants who have already started their PhD in science.
Candidates must hold a Master’s degree at the latest on September 1 st, 2021.
The successful candidates must be registered or register for their Ph.D. at AMU, in neuroscience, and do their research work on a full-time basis in an AMU research laboratory for a period of 1 year starting no later than December 2021.
One scholarship will be awarded during this call.
To avoid any conflict of interest, members of the selection committee must not be associated with one of the research projects presented by the shortlisted candidates.
Candidates will be selected by a committee according to the following criteria:
- background and academic perspectives of the candidate and adequacy with the project,
- feasibility of the project (including financial support and ethics committee authorizations),
- potential co-financing.
Monthly salary: 2033.83 € (gross), i. e. approximately 1635 € (net), but subject to contribution rate changes
Documents available for download
Call for projects phase
Please rename the document with the name of the PhD supervisor and include the summary of the PhD project.
Call for applications phase
The jury was composed of :
- Fanny MANN, IBDM
- Aileen McGONIGAL, INS + Epileptology Department
- Raoul BELZEAUX, INT + Department of Psychiatry
- Francois DEVRED, INP + Faculty of Pharmacy
- Fabrice SARLEGNA, ISM
- Mira DIDIC, Neurology Department + NeuroSchool PhD Program.
Two laureates have been selected:
- RICCARDI Florence (MMG, Dr Villard)
- GRIMALDI Stephan (CRMBM, Dr Guye and INT, Dr Eusebio).