- Société des Neurosciences et FENS
In France, the Société des Neurosciences has over 2,500 members and aims at promoting research in all areas of neuroscience. Every 2 years, it organizes a week-long meeting with plenary lectures, thematic symposia and poster sessions. The Société des neurosciences is part of the Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS), which organizes a forum that brings together European researchers every other year.
- Society for neuroscience
Similarly, in the United States, the Society for Neuroscience (SfN) brings together neuroscientists and organizes every year in October or November, the world largest gathering of neuroscientists.
- Ph.D. Program de la Timone
The “Ph.D. program in integrative and clinical neuroscience” launched at La Timone in 2013 offers training, tutored seminars and funding (for conferences or for postdocs in industry) to any registered neuroscience PhD student of Marseille.
- Allen Brain Atlas
Excellent atlases of the brain and spinal cord, with the expression of almost all genes.
- Pubmed – Bookshelf
Free online access to science textbooks.
- Brain Awareness Week (Semaine du Cerveau)
Interested in popularizing brain science? Join the Brain Awareness Week! You can give presentations (in pairs) in schools, in Marseille and the surrounding area, around mid-March. A slideshow will be prepared on the theme of the year. Contact Amina Mokrane.
- Tous chercheurs
Hands-on trainings in a real biology laboratory, for high school students or patients’ associations.
- Aix-Marseille University scientific outreach team
Aix-Marseille University is associated to a number of outreach events such as the Souk des sciences (April) or the Fête de la science (October).
- Culture science PACA
Listing of scientific events in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region
In the lab
Health and safety
- Tips from the university of Berkeley
- Classifindex, a CNRS mobile app to identify chemical risks
- National Research and Safety Institute for the Prevention of Workplace Accidents and Professional Diseases (INRS) and in particular the section of the site devoted to biotechnologies (sheet on protective gloves for health professions, etc.)
- NEO mobile application to train new entrants to the CNRS and Inserm
- Help site for statistical evaluation of the number of animals required
- Website of the National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research
- Association Française des Sciences et Techniques de l’Animal de Laboratoire (AFSTAL)
- Groupe Interprofessionnel de Réflexion et de Communication sur la Recherche (GIRCOR)
- Veille Réglementaire en expérimentation animale, sécurité et sûreté biologique, éthique et bien-être animal (VERSA)
- Training database for animal users
- Merriam-Webster dictionary (with pronunciation)
- Linguee : search engine for English-French translation
- Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique : français-anglais dictionary for technical terms
- The Conjugator
- English lessons : BBC Learning English, e-anglais, British Council, Anglais facile
- Vocable Magazine
- Movie theatres : presenting films in the original languages, with French subtitles, in Marseille: César & Variétés
- Test your writing skills (in English) with the Writer’s Diet Test and the Readability Score
- Other resources
- WeTransfer : for sending large files
- Creating surveys : Doodle (for choosing a date and planning events), Google Forms and Survey Monkey ((beware : check whether your information becomes public)
- InkScape : freeware to prepare paper figures
- FramaSoft : freeware list (in French)
- Various web tools (in French)
- Online statistics :to choose and apply the proper tests
Online courses and conferences
Living in Marseille
- Student social services Centre Régional des Œuvres Universitaires et Scolaires (CROUS) – 3 place Victor Hugo, 13331 Marseille Cedex 3 – Tél. : +33 (0)4 91 62 83 70.
- ADELE : list of private student housing in Marseille
- Service du Logement Etudiant (SLE)
- Fac Habitat : 3 residences in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd “arrondissements” and soon next to the Velodrome stadium
- seloger.com : real-estate ads from owners and agencies
- Real-estate ads from owners only : Particulier A Particulier
Funding and advice for a Ph.D.
Websites to look for a scientific job
- Individual Development Plan : to determine which scientific career (including outside pure research) is closest to our skills and our desires (in English).
- The website DocPro can help you identify your skills
- For Ph.D holders :
- Others :
Just for fun
Envoyez-nous vos suggestions de sites.