One call is currently open at NeuroSchool :
- for 6-month funding for current 3rd year NeuroSchool PhD students.
For more details, unfold the paragraphs at the end of this page using the +/- button.
These scholarships are fully funded by NeuroSchool (nEURo*AMU, ANR-17-EURE-0029).
Co-funding for Thematic Schools
As part of the university training in Neuroscience, the Ecole Universitaire de Recherche (EUR) NeuroSchool at Aix Marseille Université is launching a call for projects to co-finance two thematic schools in neuroscience.
NeuroSchool will allocate up to €15k per project, depending on the duration of the proposed event (minimum 3 days), which will take place in Marseille. Co-funding will not be paid to the organizer(s): NeuroSchool will cover the costs upon presentation of invoices. NeuroSchool will not directly cover registration fees.
Each thematic school is eligible for ECTS credits for participating PhD students from Aix Marseille University and NeuroSchool will provide a certificate of attendance to participants.
Applicants must respond before March 8, 2019 (new deadline!).
Funding for scientific events
As part of its mission to provide information on advances in the field of neuroscience, NeuroSchool attaches great importance to the dissemination of knowledge within the scientific community and to the general public. In order to develop its dissemination activities for students, researchers, clinicians and/or citizens, NeuroSchool can financially support scientific events (conferences, debates, actions towards the general public or patients’ organizations…). The theme of these events must be related to neuroscience research (fundamental, clinical or industrial research). The events must take place in Provence.
The request for support must be submitted before October 1, 2019 and the event must take place between March 1, 2020 and February 28, 2021.
International PhD Scholarships - 2019 call
In 2019, NeuroSchool PhD Program in Neuroscience of Aix-Marseille University (AMU) will grant 3 three-year PhD scholarships.
The selection process will include the three following steps.
1. CALL FOR RESEARCH PROJECTS (from AMU PI’s): CLOSED
AMU neuroscience research teams are invited to propose a research project in neuroscience for the next 3 years. Maximum of one project for every 3 HDRs in a given team (a team with 1 to 3 HDRs may submit 1 project, a team with 4 to 6 HDRs may submit 2 projects…)
To submit a project, please download the file from: http://neuro-marseille.org/en/phd-program-en/call-for-phd-research-projects/
Research projects should be sent at the latest on March 1st, 2019, at midnight, through the online form:
After verification of their administrative validity by the NeuroSchool PhD Program, research projects will be presented on the NeuroSchool website as well as advertised worldwide by mid-March, 2019.
2. CALL FOR APPLICANTS (Master’s graduates) : CLOSED
The scholarships are open to Master’s graduates from top-ranked non-French universities.
The candidates will be able to download the necessary documents from mid-March, 2019 on the following website:
- List of research projects
- Choice of research projects to select and rank two of the proposed research projects
- Templates for recommendation letters
The application must be submitted through our website, before April 22nd, 2019 at midnight (Marseille time), as a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT containing:
- A resume (with copy of the obtained degrees)
- The document (“Choice of research projects”) highlighting the adequacy between the applicant’s background and the two elected research projects
- A letter of motivation (500 words)
Letters of recommendation must be sent from two referees directly to email@example.com using the template PhD-applicant-Evaluation-by-referees-2019.
Candidates will be selected by a committee according to their background and academic perspectives of the candidate and adequacy with the project.
The selection committee will shortlist 10 applicants that will be individually interviewed in late May – early June, 2019. The applicants are encouraged to prepare their interviews with the project leaders they have selected. Inerviews may be done by Skype/videoconference.
The final decision will be known shortly after the interviews.
The successful candidates must register for their PhD at AMU, in neuroscience, and do their research work on a full time basis in an AMU research laboratory for a period of 3 years starting no later than December 2019.
Monthly salary: 1,768,55€ (gross), i.e. approximately 1421€ (net), but subject to contribution rate changes.
Expenses: applicants will pay their annual tuition fees (around 400 €) and, when needed, their visa fees.
PhD Scholarships for MDs and PharmDs 2019
NeuroSchool PhD Program in Neuroscience of Aix-Marseille University (AMU) offers to finance one year of science PhD studies for residents or young medical doctors or doctors in pharmacy. This call is addressed to residents or young doctors (MDs or PharmDs) who wish to devote a year to research as part of a PhD in neuroscience in an AMU laboratory. This scholarship is fully funded by NeuroSchool (nEURo*AMU, ANR-17-EURE-0029) and its objectives are to foster links between medical and pharmacy doctors and researchers, to encourage the involvement of medical and pharmacy doctors in experimental research.
The selection process takes place in three steps:
- a call for projects for the research teams of Aix-Marseille University laboratories, with a deadline on March 1st, 2019,
- a call for applications for residents or young MDs or PharmDs, with a deadline on April 22nd, 2019,
- auditions of preselected candidates, in late May or early June 2019 (the exact date will be announced later; auditions may be done by Skype/videoconference).
1.Call for projects : CLOSED
AMU laboratories are invited to propose a neuroscience PhD project for a resident or young medical doctor.
To submit a project, please download the file from: http://neuro-marseille.org/en/phd-program-en/call-for-md-phd-projects/
Detail the PhD research project (maximum 420 words), indicating its title and explaining state of the art and international scientific context, objectives, methods, expected outcomes, adequacy with neuroscience, and expected benefits.
Please submit it at the latest on March 1st, 2019 at midnight via this online form:
The validity of the projects will be checked by a committee to ensure their quality, feasibility and compliancy with the rules of the Life and Health Science Doctoral School.
2. Call for applications : OPEN
The candidates can download the application form and the list of projects on the following website:
The application must be submitted as a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT containing:
- administrative information concerning the candidate and the research project(s) (application form can be downloaded from our website),
- a detailed resume (with copy of the obtained degrees) and a letter of motivation stating career plans and their adequacy with the selected project(s),
- two letters of reference.
Applications must be submitted before April 22, 2019, at midnight via the following website:
Successful applicants will be notified by e-mail and will be subsequently interviewed individually in late May or early June, 2019 (the exact date will be announced later).
The selection committee will be composed of officials from the NeuroSchool PhD Program, clinicians and researchers.
Conditions and guidelines:
At the time of the application, candidates may be doing their residency, have validated their residency (MD and/or PharmD, and/ordiplôme d’études spécialisées) less than 2 years earlier, or be Chef de Clinique des universités-Assistants des hôpitaux (CCA) or Assistant Hospitalier Universitaire (AHU).
Candidates must hold a Master’s degree at the latest on July 1 st, 2019.
The successful candidates must be registered or register for their PhD at AMU, in neuroscience, and do their research work on a full time basis in an AMU research laboratory for a period of 1 year starting no later than December 2019.
One scholarship will be awarded during this call.
To avoid any conflict of interest, members of the selection committee must not be associated with one of the research projects presented by the shortlisted candidates.
Candidates will be selected by a committee according to the following criteria:
- background and academic perspectives of the candidate and adequacy with the project,
- feasibility of the project (including financial support and ethics committee authorizations),
- potential co-financing.
Monthly salary: 2033.83 € (gross), i. e. approximately 1635 € (net), but subject to contribution rate changes
6-month funding for current 3rd year NeuroSchool PhD students
NeuroSchool PhD Program is launching a call for applicants for 6-month fellowship to finish their PhD, open to students currently in their 3rd PhD year (for the 2018-2019 academic year). A total of 24 months of funding will be divided among 4 laureates.
The objective of this funding is to enable a graduate student to finalize his/her research project and associated publications in order to ensure the necessary baggage for the pursuit of his/her scientific career. The attendance of the candidates to NeuroSchool PhD Program events and their involvement in the Program will be taken into account in the evaluation of applications.
To read more about this call, click here.
Fellowships for postdoctoral positions in biotech companies
NeuroSchool is launching a call for 1 post-doctoral fellowship for young neuroscientists who are AMU graduates and who wish to work in a biotechnology company specializing in neuroscience in the Sud region. The main objective of these scholarships is to promote the professional integration of young doctors.
See our French page for details
Fourth year of PhD 2018
- Sarah PALMIS, LNC
- Caroline LANDELLE, LNSC
- Béatrice BROUSSE, IBDM
- Nina JURCIC, INT
Candidates on the waiting list
- Grigorios KYRIATZIS, INP
- Laura CACCIALUPI, INMED
Thanks to other funding, the withdrawal of Sarah Palmis and Béatrice Brousse allows candidates on the waiting list to obtain the PhD scholarship.
PhD Scholarships – 2018/2019
In 2018, the PhD program in Integrative and Clinical Neurosciences offered three PhD scholarships to excellent Master students that graduated from top-ranked non-French universities.
Three scholarships have been awarded:
- Dominic Bingham will work under Christophe Leterrier and Marie-Jeanne Papandréou’s supervision, from the INP, on “Role of actin nanostructures in presynaptic assembly and function”.
- Yasmin Mzayek will work under Jean-Philippe Ranjeva and Wafaa Zaaraoui’s supervision, from the CRMBM, on “In vivo assessment of neuro-axonal degeneration in multiple sclerosis patients using diffusion MR spectroscopy at 7T”.
- Federica Conti will work under Anna Montagnini’s supervision, from the INT, on “Bayesian inference in visuomotor decisions: eye movement analysis and modeling”.
PhD scholarships for MD 2018/2019
Following the call for projects launched last February for young medical doctors, the ICN PhD Program awarded a one-year doctoral scholarship to Amina REZZAG, who will do her PhD at the INMED under Claudio Rivera’s supervision, on the following topic: “Brain oscillations and connectivity after TBI, early diagnosis and cognitive read-out ”
PhD Scholarships – 2017/2018
In 2017, the PhD program in Integrative and Clinical Neuroscience will grant three PhD scholarships to excellent Master students that graduated from non-French top-ranked universities.
Three scholarships have been awarded:
- Angelo Franciosini will work under Laurent Perrinet’s supervision, on Trajectories in natural images and the sensory processing of contours.
- Dominika Pilat will work under Santiago Rivera and Emmanuel Nivet’s supervision, on Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases are newly identified pathogenic factors in Alzheimer’s disease: neuroinflammatory mechanisms of action and pre-clinical target validation.
- Ruggero Basanisi will work under Andrea Brovelli and Paul Apicella’s supervision, on Neurocomputational bases of Causal Learning(CausaL).
PhD scholarships for MD 2017/2018
The PhD program in Integrative and Clinical Neuroscience launched a new campaign of PhD scholarships for MD last February. This call for applicants was addressed to clinicians and doctors who wish to dedicate one year of research within the framework of a PhD thesis in neuroscience in an AMU laboratories.
Francesca Pizzo has been awarded an M.D./Phd.D. scholarship.
Call for Post-doctoral positions
A new campaign for postdoctoral positions started in December 2016.