- Ph.D. Program in Integrative and Clinical Neuroscience
The PhD program in integrative and clinical neuroscience launched at La Timone in 2013 offers training, tutored seminars and funding (for conferences or for postdocs in industry) to any registered neuroscience PhD student of Marseille.
- ITMO Neuroscience
The Multi-Organization Thematic Institute (ITMO) in neuroscience, cognitive science, neurology, and psychiatry aims at grouping all the actors of French research studying the nervous system, whether with basic or clinical approaches.
- Société des Neurosciences and FENS
In France, the Société des Neurosciences has over 2,500 members and aims at promoting research in all areas of neuroscience. Every 2 years, it organizes a week-long meeting with plenary lectures, thematic symposia and poster sessions. The NeuroFrance 2019 conference will be held in Marseille in May 2019!
The Société des neurosciences is part of the Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS), which organizes a forum that brings together European researchers every other year.
- Society for neuroscience
Similarly, in the United States, the Society for Neuroscience (SfN) brings together neuroscientists and organizes every year in October or November, the world largest gathering of neuroscientists.
- Allen Brain Atlas
Excellent atlases of the brain and spinal cord, with the expression of almost all genes.
- Pubmed – Bookshelf
Free online access to science textbooks.
- …and of course, visit our Events page!
Meetings, posters & oral presentations
- Colloque de la Société des Neurosciences: NeuroFrance 2019, Marseille, May 22-24, 2019
- FENS Forum: Berlin, July 2018
- Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience: Washington, November 11-15, 2017
- Ready made poster models
- Tips to prepare a scientific poster : font size, colors etc.
- Tips to prepare oral presentations
- Aix-Marseille University Powerpoint template
- Medical art and biology pictures for those who have limited drawing abilities (or too little time)
- to write your abstract, consult the sites indicated in the English section, in particular the Writer’s Diet Test
Interested in popularizing brain science? Join the Brain Awareness Week! You can give presentations (in pairs) in schools, in Marseille and the surrounding area, around mid-March. A slideshow will be prepared on the theme of the year. Contact Elise Gauthier.
Hands-on trainings in a real biology laboratory, for high school students or patients’ associations.
Aix-Marseille University is associated to a number of outreach events such as the Souk des sciences (April).
Listing of scientific events in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region
A blog edited by several neuroscience Ph.D. students
Funding and advice for a Ph.D.
Financing an internship
- Simulator for calculating a trainee’s minimum gratification
- Aix-Marseille University Graduate School of Life and Health Science and its meetings with professionals
- Hippo’thèse : association of life and health science Ph.D. students at Aix-Marseille University
- The ICN Ph.D. program and the DOC2AMU program also offer several scholarships to foreign students who wish to do their Ph.D. in Marseille.
- Looking for a Ph.D. in industry? Directly contact the biotech companies in our area to apply for CIFRE scholarships.
- Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS)
- Association Nationale des Docteurs
- ITMO Neuroscience and its weekly newsletter
- MOOC How to Survive Your PhD et Doctorat et Poursuite de Carrière
Funding for International Students
CampusBourses, the directory of scholarship programs to finance your studies in France.
Websites to find a job in science
Individual Development Plan : to determine which scientific career (including outside academia) is closest to your skills and your desires (in English).
Job offers for Ph.D.’s:
- Association Bernard Grégory
- Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS)
- Nature Jobs
- ScienceCareer, of Science Magazine
- ResearchGate (“Research Facebook”)
- Science Jobs (and the Step by Step: Your Career from Undergrad to Postdoc booklet)
In the lab
Health and safety
- Institut national de recherche et de sécurité for the prevention of accidents at work and occupational diseases (INRS) and in particular the section of the site devoted to biotechnologies (sheet on protective gloves for health professions, etc.).
- Classifindex, a CNRS mobile app to identify chemical risks
- The CNRS NEO app for newcomers
Laboratory animal use and care
- Help site for statistical evaluation of the number of animals required
- Website of the National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research
- Association Française des Sciences et Techniques de l’Animal de Laboratoire (AFSTAL)
- Groupe Interprofessionnel de Réflexion et de Communication sur la Recherche (GIRCOR)
- Veille Réglementaire en expérimentation animale, sécurité et sûreté biologique, éthique et bien-être animal (VERSA)
- Rehabilitation/adoption of laboratory animals : GRAAL and White Rabbit
- Training database for animal users
- Merriam-Webster dictionary (with pronunciation)
- Deepl : Very powerful translator
- Linguee : search engine for English-French translation
- Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique : français-anglais dictionary for technical terms
- The Conjugator
- English lessons : BBC Learning English, e-anglais, British Council, Anglais facile
- Vocable Magazine
- Movie theatres: presenting films in the original languages, with French subtitles, in Marseille: César & Variétés
- Maurel international bookshop
- Test your writing skills (in English) with the Writer’s Diet Test and the Readability Score
- Other resources
- WeTransfer : for sending large files
- Creating surveys : Doodle (for choosing a date and planning events), Google Forms and Survey Monkey ((beware : check whether your information becomes public)
- InkScape: freeware to prepare paper figures
- FramaSoft: freeware list (in French)
- Various web tools (in French)
- Online statistics: to choose and apply the proper tests
Online courses and conferences
PhD Program courses:
- Video tutorial “Access the AMeTICE platform and PhD Program courses”
Online courses (MOOC):
Some course suggestions:
- Cellular neurophysiology: how neurones communicate (Aix-Marseille Université)
- From neuron to behavior (Institut Pasteur)
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance a Compass to Nanoworld (Université Lille 1)
- Introduction to Biomedical Imaging (U. Queensland)
- Drugs and the brain (Caltech)
- MOOC Exploring English: Language and Culture (FutureLearn, British Council)
- Writing in the Sciences (Stanford Online)
… and the list goes on!
Living in Marseille
- Ville de Marseille including useful phone numbers (numéros utiles) (police, fire department etc)
- Régie des transports de Marseille (RTM): public transport
- Movie theatres : presenting films in the original languages, with French subtitles, in Marseille: César & Variétés
- Public libraries and university libraries
- Donations (furniture, books, kitchenware…)
- The university has developed a Housing Platform that links apartment owners and students (requires to be registered with AMU)
- Student social services Centre Régional des Œuvres Universitaires et Scolaires (CROUS) – 3 place Victor Hugo, 13331 Marseille Cedex 3 – Tél. : +33 (0)4 91 62 83 70.
- Sylvabelle residence for graduate students and visiting researchers (near the Prefecture)
- ADELE : list of private student housing in Marseille
- Service du Logement Etudiant (SLE)
- Fac Habitat : 3 residences in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd “arrondissements” and soon next to the Velodrome stadium
- Ads on : Particulier A Particulier, AirBnB or morningcroissant
- To benefit from a rental deposit, visit the Visale website
Just for fun
Research, science and Ph.D. viewed by cartoonists :
- Tu mourras moins bête (in French)
- Book Carnets de thèse, by Tiphaine Rivière (disponible à la bibliothèque universitaire) (in French)
- Blogs Vie de thésarde and Passe ta thèse d’abord (in French)
- PhDelirium La thèse nuit gravement à la santé (in French)
- Tumblr Ciel mon doctorat (in French)
- Facebook Knock Knock Doc (in French)
- PhD Comics
- The Labrats! series by Eliza Wolfson
Send us your own website suggestions.