Presentation of the call
The PhD Program in Neurosciences of Aix-Marseille University (AMU) proposes to finance one year of science thesis for interns, young doctors or pharmacy graduates. This call for applications is addressed to interns, young doctors or pharmacists wishing to spend a year of research in the framework of a thesis in neurosciences within an AMU laboratory. The scholarship is fully funded by NeuroSchool (nEURo*AMU, ANR-17-EURE-0029) and aims to foster links between doctors, pharmacists and researchers, to encourage the involvement of doctors and pharmacists in experimental research and to bring scientific, medical and paramedical training closer together.
The selection process takes place in three stages:
- a call for projects for research teams from Aix-Marseille University laboratories with receipt of applications by March 6, 2020 at the latest,
- a call for applications from interns, young doctors or pharmacists with receipt of applications by June 7, 2020 at the latest,
- the audition of the shortlisted candidates which will take place in mid-late June 2020 (date to be specified later; auditions will be conducted via Skype/video-conference).
Call for projects - CLOSED
AMU laboratories are invited to propose a neuroscience PhD project for a resident or young medical doctor.
To submit a project, please download the file below.
Detail the PhD research project (maximum 1 page), indicating its title and explaining state of the art and international scientific context, objectives, methods, expected outcomes, adequacy with neuroscience, feasibility, and expected benefits.
Please submit it at the latest on March 6th, 2020, at midnight via the online form below.
The validity of the projects will be checked by a committee to ensure their quality, feasibility and compliancy with the rules of the Life and Health Science Doctoral School.
Call for applications - CLOSED
The candidates will be able to download the necessary documents from March 15th, 2020 in the “Documents available for download” tab:
- The list of proposed research projects
- The document “Choice of research projects”, in which the candidate should select and rank two of the proposed research projects
- The template for the two recommendation letters that must be sent from two referees directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application must be submitted in English on our website before June 7, 2020, at midnight (Marseille time) as a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT containing:
- The document (“Choice of research projects”) highlighting the adequacy between the applicant’s background and the two research projects selected (see “Documents available for download” tab)
- a detailed resume (with copy of the obtained degrees)
- a letter of motivation (500 words max)
The selection of candidates will be done in 3 phases:
- 1st phase: project supervisors undertake an initial ranking of candidates who selected their project.
- 2nd phase: the PhD program committee examines the ranked candidates of all projects and selects the candidates to be auditioned according to their academic background their adequacy with the project.
- 3rd phase: the pre-selected candidates are interviewed by visoconference in front of the PhD program committee, which makes the final ranking.
Interview - ONGOING
Successful candidates will be informed by e-mail and will then be auditioned individually at the mid-late June 2020 (date to be specified later). These interviews will be conducted via Skype/video conferencing.
The selection committee will be composed of heads of the NeuroSchool Doctoral Program in Neuroscience, clinicians and researchers.
Conditions and guidelines
At the time of the application, candidates may be doing their residency, have validated their residency (MD and/or PharmD, and/ordiplôme d’études spécialisées) less than 2 years earlier, or be Chef de Clinique des universités-Assistants des hôpitaux (CCA) or Assistant Hospitalier Universitaire (AHU).
Candidates must hold a Master’s degree at the latest on September 1 st, 2020.
The successful candidates must be registered or register for their Ph.D. at AMU, in neuroscience, and do their research work on a full-time basis in an AMU research laboratory for a period of 1 year starting no later than December 2020.
One scholarship will be awarded during this call.
To avoid any conflict of interest, members of the selection committee must not be associated with one of the research projects presented by the shortlisted candidates.
Candidates will be selected by a committee according to the following criteria:
- background and academic perspectives of the candidate and adequacy with the project,
- feasibility of the project (including financial support and ethics committee authorizations),
- potential co-financing.
Monthly salary: 2033.83 € (gross), i. e. approximately 1635 € (net), but subject to contribution rate changes